Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Become a suicide first aid responder. ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) is an internationally recognized two-day workshop developed by Living Works Education. Using multi-media presentations, this two-day practice-oriented training builds skills and confidence in suicide intervention. Certificate and participant materials provided. As an ASIST-trained first aid intervention responder, you will be better able to:
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide;
- Understand how your beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventions;
- Be able to apply the Pathway for Assisting Life model to intervene with someone at risk for suicide;
- Develop a plan to increase safety from suicidal behaviour.
Before registering, please consider:
- Participation in safeTALK is highly recommended prior to taking ASIST, especially if you are new to the role of helper in suicide situations.
- If you have been affected by a suicide, suicide behaviour, or if you yourself are currently struggling with suicidal thoughts, consider if it is the right time to take the course. Feel free to talk with facilitator beforehand.
- Attendance to two full days (14 hours) is required to receive certificate of completion.
Attending or Booking a Training
ASIST is held regularly at the Crisis Centre. All trainings can also be provided offsite, as requested. Subsidized offsite group bookings are available for non-profit organizations thanks to funding from the Ministry of Health. Please call us at 604-872-1811 to utilize this offer.
Crisis Centre volunteers – please speak to your Program Director for approval.
Standard Registration – $265
Group Discount Registration (3+ individuals in the same training) – $225
Subsidized Registration – $190
Crisis Centre Distress Services and Administration Volunteers – $100
Crisis Centre CLE Volunteers – $0
Trainings take place at the Crisis Centre Business Office (763 East Broadway, Vancouver) unless otherwise noted. Payment must be received to reserve your seat in the course.
|Monday September 25 and Tuesday September 26
*For LGBTQ2S community, service providers & allies*
|9am to 5pm||REGISTER ONLINE|
|Thursday October 12 and Friday October 13||9am to 5pm||Full. Call 604-872-1811
for wait list.
|Monday October 23 and Tuesday October 24||9am to 5pm||REGISTER ONLINE|
|Thursday November 2 and Friday November 3||9am to 5pm||Full. Call 604-872-1811
for wait list.
|Thursday December 7 and Friday December 8||9am to 5pm||REGISTER ONLINE|
Future 2018 training dates will be announced shortly. Please sign up for our quarterly eBulletin to receive updates on training opportunities.
“Very positive experience!!! I learned a lot and it was interesting to approach suicide intervention from a different perspective. Starting with our attitudes was key.” – Youth Worker
“Excellent course. Was extremely good at both demonstrating & actively encouraging participation in the course. I liked that it drew me beyond my comfort level but never felt unsafe. Thank you!” – Spiritual Leader
“Our District found this training to be a valuable use of time and resources, bringing our practice more current and helping us to develop a more therapeutic risk assessment model.” – Student Support Services, Sunshine Coast School District
“It’s the best training I have had on suicide prevention. It helped me be more comfortable with suicide, and as a result was able to connect with youth who have suicidal ideation. I recommend this for all new counsellors joining our team.” – Counsellor, Vancouver School District