Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Become a suicide first aid responder. ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) is an internationally recognized two-day workshop developed by Living Works Education. Using multi-media presentations, this two-day practice-oriented training builds skills and confidence in suicide intervention. Certificate and participant materials provided. As an ASIST-trained first aid intervention responder, you will be better able to:
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide;
- Understand how your beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventions;
- Be able to apply the Pathway for Assisting Life model to intervene with someone at risk for suicide;
- Develop a plan to increase safety from suicidal behaviour.
Before registering, please consider:
- Participation in safeTALK is highly recommended prior to taking ASIST, especially if you are new to the role of helper in suicide situations.
- If you have been affected by a suicide, suicide behaviour, or if you yourself are currently struggling with suicidal thoughts, consider if it is the right time to take the course. Feel free to talk with facilitator beforehand.
- Attendance to two full days (14 hours) is required to receive certificate of completion.
Attending or Booking a Training
ASIST is held regularly at the Crisis Centre. All trainings can also be provided offsite, as requested. Subsidized rates are available for non-profit organizations thanks to funding from the Ministry of Health. Please call us at 604-872-1811 to utilize this offer.
Active Crisis Centre volunteers – speak to your Program Director (Lu or Akhila) for approval and reduced rates.
Saturday June 3 and Sunday June 4, 2017, 9am to 5pm, Crisis Centre (763 East Broadway, Vancouver) – Registration Form
Wednesday June 28 and Thursday June 29, 2017, 9am to 5pm, Crisis Centre (763 East Broadway, Vancouver) – Registration Form
Wednesday August 30 and Thursday August 31, 2017, 9am to 5pm, Crisis Centre (763 East Broadway, Vancouver) – Registration Form
Thursday October 12 and Friday October 13, 2017, 9am to 5pm, Crisis Centre (763 East Broadway, Vancouver) – Registration Form
Future 2017 training dates will be announced shortly. Please sign up for our quarterly eBulletin to receive updates on training opportunities.
“Very positive experience!!! I learned a lot and it was interesting to approach suicide intervention from a different perspective. Starting with our attitudes was key.” – Youth Worker
“Excellent course. Was extremely good at both demonstrating & actively encouraging participation in the course. I liked that it drew me beyond my comfort level but never felt unsafe. Thank you!” – Spiritual Leader
“Our District found this training to be a valuable use of time and resources, bringing our practice more current and helping us to develop a more therapeutic risk assessment model.” – Student Support Services, Sunshine Coast School District
“It’s the best training I have had on suicide prevention. It helped me be more comfortable with suicide, and as a result was able to connect with youth who have suicidal ideation. I recommend this for all new counsellors joining our team.” – Counsellor, Vancouver School District