Suicide Grief Support Group
The BC Bereavement Helpline and the Crisis Centre host a grief support group for those bereaved by suicide. Being with others who have experienced a similar loss helps reduce isolation, increase coping skills, and create long-term networks of support. This group is led by two skilled, experienced and caring facilitators.
Fall 2020 Group: 8 Thursday evenings, 6:30pm to 8:30pm – October 8 to November 26
Winter 2021 Group: 8 Thursday evenings, 6:30pm to 8:30pm – January 14 to March 4
Fee: $120 (subsidies available, please inquire)
Register: contact [at] bcbh [dot] ca or call 604-738-9950.
Thank you to Jude Platzer for her tireless work in suicide prevention and for her ongoing support for this group. Jude, who lost her son to suicide in 1999, speaks of the need for healing from suicide within community – “support groups can offer tremendous comfort and safety in knowing we are not alone. The knowledge that there are others who have some understanding of what we have been through can help us heal and move forward in our grief journey.”
Losing someone to suicide is a unique loss like no other, and can lead to a number of conflicting feelings and many unanswered questions. There is no one way to feel or grieve the death by suicide—we all react and grieve differently. And most importantly, it is important to remember that you are not alone—suicide impacts more people than we often know about.
- Suicide Loss Support Group at Crisis Centre
- Video: A Message to Survivors (Canadian Association of Suicide Prevention)
- Video: Supporting those Bereaved by Suicide (Lifeline Australia)
For more information on suicidal bereavement:
- Suicide Grief & Coping with Loss (Canadian Association of Suicide Prevention)
- After a Student Suicide (Centre for Suicide Prevention)
- Hope and Healing: Practical Guide for Survivors of Suicide
- After a suicide toolkit for Schools