Volunteer Crisis Services Responder
Be part of fostering a caring and connected community!
Are you looking to:
- Gain highly valuable transferable knowledge and skills?
- Make a career change?
- Provide a meaningful contribution to the community?
- Receive relevant experience for graduate programs in Counselling Psychology, medical school, social work programs, policing, nursing, Genetic Counselling, or another helping profession?
Then volunteering with us would be a rewarding, enriching and challenging experience for you.
This is a short narrative of a Volunteer Crisis Services Responder speaking to key experiences as a front line worker.
The Distress Services Program, accredited by the American Association of Suicidology, provides 24 hour service to the community including:
- Emotional support;
- Help to navigate ongoing mental health concerns;
- Management of suicide crisis;
- Identifying resources for short and long term support; and
- Skills for coping with situational crises
Our robust training and ongoing supervision is well recognized and respected in different universities and helping agencies across the province. Also we were the early pioneers in providing online crisis chat service beginning in 2004, and we have now fully integrated the phone and chat service delivery. Therefore, our front line responders are trained to provide services in both the phone and chat media.
We provide our service via phone and online chat. With the nature of this service being complex and dynamic, the front line role requires genuine compassion combined with critical thinking abilities and is supported by intensive training and ongoing supervision you will receive to support people in crisis.
The bulk of service is provided by volunteers alongside of several staff Crisis Services Responders. We welcome new applicants who are looking to be part of the Crisis Centre Community.
Application and Training Details
We are no longer accepting applications for our March 2020 training group as we are now full. Our next training group will be in May 2020.
Please check back here on our website for more information on applying for our May 2020 training group.
Thank you for you interest in the Crisis Centre. We look forward to meeting you!