Youth Educator Volunteers
Do you have a passion for working with youth? Interested in sharing messages of hope about mental health and wellness? Want to help prevent youth suicide in your community?
Volunteer Youth Educators facilitate wellness workshops for teens (Work Your Mind Muscle: Mindfully Navigating Life and Self-Care 101), attend youth conferences and events, and support community trainings. Workshops are generally offered to youth in high school classroom settings.
- Enrich your public speaking and group facilitation skills
- Work interactively with youth in an educational capacity
- Build hope and resiliency among youth
- Reference letters
- Strong desire to work with youth
- Daytime availability (2 half-days per month)
- Willingness to travel throughout Vancouver, Burnaby and the North Shore
- Comfort with public speaking and group facilitation
- A strong interest in and personal connection to the topic of suicide prevention
- Mindfulness workshop facilitators must have prior training in mindfulness, such as mindfulness courses and/or mindfulness retreat time
- Availability for all training sessions
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Youth Educator:
1. Review Volunteer Requirements above and Youth Program information.
2. Submit an online application by Sunday, May 14.
The Volunteer Youth Educator training fee is $150. Fees collected partially cover the cost of providing current and effective information, training and service to volunteers. Training fees include registration for safeTALK, a 2-day ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) and monthly in service trainings and workshops to help establish, or deepen a mindfulness practice. The training fee can be discussed during your interview.
“I have really enjoyed my time as a volunteer for the Crisis Centre. The impact it has made in my life will stay with me always. I have such gratitude for your incredible training, support, and compassion.”
– Melanie Wickes, former Volunteer Youth Educator